Book Chapters and Articles:
- ‘Saints informed by science’: Identifying productive science-religion narratives in times of Covid-19‘, University of Winchester (short paper; full article forthcoming)
- “From Scotland to Utopia (via Hammersmith): William Morris, George MacDonald and the Utopian Ecological Aesthetic”, Journal of Irish and Scottish Studies, Vol 8, Issue 2 (publication delayed).
- ‘In the Automated Eye of the Beholder: Automata in human culture, and the enduring myth of the modern Prometheus’, Marvellous Mechanical Museum (Compton Verney Press, 2018) (read here)
- “‘The stupidest tea-party in all my life’: Lewis Carroll and Victorian Psychiatric Practice”, Journal of Victorian Culture, Vol 21, Issue 2, 2016. (read here)
- “Back to the Future: The Time Traveller’s Traumatic Jet Lag in A Christmas Carol”, Dickens on the Move – Between Cultures and Continents. Ed. Elmar Schenkel. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, 2014. (buy here)
- “Poeta fit, non nascitur’: Lewis Carroll, performance science and comedic catharsis”, Victorian Comedy and Laughter: New Paradigms. ed. by Louise Lee. Basingstoke: Palgrave (corrections accepted; publication delayed)
- “Lewis Carroll & Mathematics”, Palgrave Companion to Literature and Mathematics, ed. by Alice Jenkins (Palgrave)
- ‘E.T.A. Hoffmann’s Schwarze Romantik and nineteenth-century German Gothic’, The Palgrave Handbook of Gothic: Origins, The Palgrave Gothic Handbook, 3 vols, ed. by Clive Bloom (Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan) (contracted; forthcoming 2020)
- ‘Following the science’: What it actually means, and why we should care’, Medium, 2020.
- “Creepy Victorians: How nineteenth-century Britain become obsessed with insects“, Royal Entomological Society, National Insect Week, 2016.
- “Alice in the asylum: Wonderland and the real mad tea parties of the Victorians“, The Conversation UK, 2016 (read on TORCH, Epoch Times, Alpha Galileo, The Wire, Slate & RawStory);
- Republished as ‘Alice à l’asile‘ on Conversation France, 2016.
- “Alice’s Adventures in Cyberspace”, The Conversation UK, 2015.
- “A scientific guide to seeing fairies”, REMEDIA. The History of Medicine in Dialogue with its Present, blog by Kate Womersley and Lisa Haushofer, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 2014.
- The Lewis Carroll Review: Themed Issue: Alice Illustrated, 57 (2019)
- The Lewis Carroll Review, Themed Issue: Alice & Satire, 56 (2018)
- The Lewis Carroll Review, Special Issue: American McGee’s Alice, 48 (2012)
- Lewis Carroll, ‘A Mad Tea-Party,’ Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Digital Annotated Edition. The Public Domain Review, Aug 2015 (read here).
- “Lewis Carroll – Master of Nonsense,” Franziska Kohlt and Mark Richards, The Lewis Carroll Society, 2013. (Collected nonsense verse and prose by Lewis Carroll and others, for Alice’s Day 2013)
- “David Pyle, Volcanoes: Encounters Through the Ages”, Bodleian Library Record (forthcoming)
- “Hjalmar Fors, The Limits of Matter: Chemistry, Mining and Enlightenment”, British Society for Literature and Science (forthcoming)
- “Looking-Glass House & Lewis Carroll: The Man and his Circle: Vanessa Tait & Edward Wakeling at the Oxford Literary Festival”, Bandersnatch: The Newsletter of the Lewis Carroll Society, Issue 167, 2015 (read here)
- “Peter and Alice; or: The Dangers of Biopic Realism, The Lewis Carroll Review, 50 (2013).
- “American McGee’s Alice: Madness Returns”, Lewis Carroll Review – American McGee Special Issue, Issue 48, 2012 (buy here)
- “Lewis Carroll Man of Science Conference 2011” Bandersnatch: The Newsletter of the Lewis Carroll Society, Issue 152, 2011
The Lewis Carroll Review (Editor since 2017)
In the Media:
Radio & Television:
- “Automata”, BBC Radio 4 – In Our Time (UK), September 2018 (forthcoming)
- ‘Lewis Carroll‘, TRT Showcase (Turkey), July 2018.
- ‘Oxford, Lewis Carroll & Alice in Wonderland’, ARTE Invitation au voyage/ Stadt Land Kunst (France/Germany), April 2018.
- “Curiouser and Curiouser: Lewis Carroll, Oxford & Alice’s Adventures”, CBC Ideas (Canada), 2014 (listen here)
↑ On Turkish Television’s Showcase, July 2018
Print & Web:
- ‘The Psychological & Neurological Disorders Experienced by Characters in Alice in Wonderland: A Neuroscience Reading of Lewis Carroll’s Classic Tale‘, Open Culture, Jan 2018.
- ‘It’s A Bug’s Life for Story-Lovers‘, The Oxford Times (UK), July 2018.
- ‘The real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Mad Hatter and his Tea Party‘, Oxford Today (UK), 23 June 2016.
- ‘The real-life inspiration for the Mad Hatter and his Tea Party‘, University of Oxford Arts Blog, 13 June 2016.
- ‘Johnny Depp Mad Hatter Alice in Wonderland’We’re All Mad Here’: Alice Still Feeds Society’s Interest in Insanity‘, Sputnik UK (RU), 14th June 2016.
- ‘Oxford Through the Looking-Glass‘, Blueprint (UK), University of Oxford, November 2015
- ‘Wild About Wonderland’, Melbourne Herald Sun (AUS), 26th September 2015
- “The Alice Look, Victoria and Albert Museum for the History of Childhood”, Bandersnatch. The Newsletter of the Lewis Carroll Society, Issue 167, 2015 (Coverage of talk at the opening of “The Alice Look” exhibition, June 2015).
- Martin, Stephen. “Weston Park Whit Fayre”. Bandersnatch. The Newsletter of the Lewis Carroll Society (UK), Iss. 155, July 2012. (Review of the “Weston Whit Fayre” Alice celebrations, organised by myself in cooperation with Rhyme and Reason Booksellers, Sheffield)
- Martin, Stephen. “Magic Worlds”. The Daresbury Chronicle (UK), July 2012. (Another article on the Alice event at Weston Whit Fayre)
- ‘The real-life inspiration for the Mad Hatter and his Tea Party‘, Taylor & Francis, June 2016.
- “Happy (Un-)Birthday Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland!”, Brasenose College, Oxford, 2015 (read here)
- “Kaffee. Kultur. Geschichte.” Liaisons. Magazin zum Kulturaustausch. Issue 5/6. Oct. 2011 (Leipzig: Hamouda) . (buy here)
- „My Adventures in Wonderland and what I found there. Auf den Spuren von Alice in Großbritannien.“ Liaisons. Magazin zum Kulturaustausch. Issue 5/6. Oct. 2011 (Leipzig: Hamouda). (buy here)
- “American McGee on Alice: Madness Returns”. Interview. The Lewis Carroll Review – American McGee Special Issue. The Reviewing Journal of the Lewis Carroll Society. Issue 48, November 2012. (buy here)
- Brexit Correspondent & Commentator for WDR 1Live Radio (Germany)
- “Jungforscher in Grossbritannien nach dem Brexit” (Germany), Die Zeit Online, June 2017
- “How will the UK’s Brexit Vote establish its marginalised populations?“, The Establishment (US), June 2016.